Psalm 127:1 “Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.”
Every time this Psalm is quoted, people often associate it with building a new house, security of a community or even politics. And really, it is all about parenting and how to build a godly home. Scripture says, “Wisdom has builded her house, she has hewn out her seven pillars:” Proverbs 9:1. And scripture also says, Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established: Proverbs 24:3
So, it is important to note that the building of the house aforementioned is how to successfully raise a godly family and our responsibility over the home as parents and as children.
Parenting is a responsibility God placed in our hands, and it must be done through;
1. God’s help: If the Lord does not build, it is vain to build and if He doesn’t watch, we will watch in vain. So, we need God’s help for us to be a successful parent. We cannot depend on our own strength or our world to raise a good home. God’s help is very essential.
2. God’s wisdom: by wisdom is a house built. We cannot build as the Lord require using our own wisdom or the wisdom of this world which will come to nought. We must learn to ask for God’s wisdom in all areas especially in dealing with our children as this world keeps advancing in the wrong direction.
3. All Spiritual Consciousness: We need to be spiritually discerning so as to help them live a quality life. Everything looks good from the outside but a spiritually discerning parent can stop evil before it enters. The parent must be a priest in the house and as a priest, your duty is to stop death before it enters into a city. Parenting is priesthood.
Parenting is not a bragging right, it’s a call, a work, a responsibility that must be done with all diligence. Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men. Proverbs 22:29. Parenting is God’s business that He’s given to every Family blessed with children.
It is an assignment from God to us as a model of how to carefully mold lives. Lives are at stake here. Your children will become What you mould them into. They came intobthw world innocent and exhibit whatsoever they are trained to do by their parents. A dysfunctional parent will raise a dysfunctional child, so Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6.
Parenting is our Number one responsibility in the home as parents and our core duty is to,
1. Build, as the Lord builds, and
2. Watch over, as the Lord watches.
Many confuse parenting for providing food, shelter, and clothing…. and that’s why they substitute work for their role as parents. It is vain. People work themselves up to provide all these things for their family an assume that’s all about parenting. No. That’s even secondary in parenting. The core duty of parents is to Build and Watch over. Just like a farmer sows, and watch the plant grow. It’s a lot of work and effort, else the enemy will come at night (times of less vigilance) to sow rates among the wheat. So, as you build, also watch because the devil is always lurking around.
A parent must know that he/she has a Godly assigned responsibility to raise a godly child and accounts will be given to God as regards how well we have done with God’s assignment to us as parents. GOD BLESS YOU